Monday, February 13, 2012

LET THEM EAT CAKE

[ clockwise from top left: peanut butter fudge, red velvet, salted caramel, strawberry lava fudge ]

Oh my goodness, every other block in D.C. there was some kind of cupcake place. I saw Crumbs, I saw Sprinkles -- but once my friend and I got to Georgetown, we knew that we had to get in line for Georgetown Cupcakes. It's like UCLA's Diddy Riese.

Honestly, though, the line was not that bad. It moved pretty quickly, and before we knew it, we were right in front of all the little cupcakes.

And yes, I mean little. After all, when Sprinkles is what I'm used to - big, fatty cupcakes that take 2-4 people a day to eat - Georgetown Cupcakes' cupcakes were definitely small. They were me-sized! But the guy at the door stressed quality over quantity. I figured that I would wait until I actually had a bite.

Make that four bites, as my friend, her roomies and I split those four cupcakes above. They were rich and dense, but not sweet, airy or even moist - all things I'm used to with Sprinkles. I liked that they weren't crazy sweet; the frosting was definitely my favorite part, as it was just perfect. Unfortunately, the heavy flavor in my mouth from the cake did not take to my tastebuds. There wasn't enough milk in the apartment to wash it all down.

If I had to pick a fave, though, it would be the strawberry lava fudge. There was actually lava fudge! Which (oddly enough) lightened the cake, even though it was perfectly chocolatey and delicious.

Can I get a crack cupcake baby that mixes Georgetown's frosting with Sprinkles' cake? That would be way delish.

Georgetown Cupcakes (3/5)
3301 M St NW
Washington, DC 20007  
(202) 333-8448

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Wrinkled Chiffon! I used to live in DC and can't believe that after I left they brought in a SPRINKLES! My friend brought me a cupcake from Sprinkles all the way from California...it was the best cupcake ever! Enjoy your DC Cupcakes and Happy Valentine's Day!

    xo Grace
    www.wrinkledchiffon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Diddy Riese before. Is it really THAT good? Come to think of it, I've never explored the UCLA campus before, is it true there's a botanical garden? I need to explore a little more. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH YEA, you definitely need to explore it here! We've got a botanical garden on campus, which is gorgeous, but you really should check out all the buildings. Sure, there are some sketchy ones, but with your photography skills, I'm sure that you'll make even Boelter (one of our boring engineering buildings) look gorgeous.

      And Diddy Riese is pretty great. I'm a fan of the shaved ice, as well as almost all their cookies. The peanut butter ones are iffy to me.

      Delete
  3. hey thanks for commenting on my blog! when I saw your link I HAD to click it and now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look amazing. and now my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Almost Foodie goes national! Love the artwork.

    ReplyDelete